Monday, August 23, 2010

My Heart has taken another lover..

Tri's.. 

I was eating lunch by myself at the Hot Topic cafe patio around March or April 09. I was still new, only being at the company for a few months and everyone I knew was busy that day. A co worker, Steve, whom I had brief interaction with at that time, approached me and sat with me at the patio. I was at the time training for my first 1/2 Marathon (OC 1/2 in May 09) and he had noticed me running with some friends after work. 

We instantly became engrossed in a conversation about fitness and working out, at the time I really wanted to participate in the OC Tri - http://www.octriseries.com/octriathlon.html
But ONE little problem - I didn't know how to swim at all.
But as fate had it, Steve was a Swim instructor! He wanted to do a Tri also, and so training began. 


It took me a 2-3 months to learn how to swim. I met with Steve about 3-4 times a week each morning and sometimes after work too. I spent 2 weeks just kicking on a kick board, then another 2 weeks, combining the arms, (with the kick board), then combining it all together. At first, I was only able to swim half the length of the 25 meter pool. Finally another 2+ weeks went by, and I was able to go the whole length without stopping. (I hate to admit, but I drank a lot of pool water - and YES I know how disgusting that is)

My swimming was still really weak, I could barely swim 10 laps without stopping and by that time and the race (1500 meter swim ~ 60 laps), was approaching. Steve participated in the race and did fantastic. 

And that's how the madness all began.


Steve just finished his first 1/2 Ironman July 2010 and there's been no turning back. 


My first Sprint tri is approaching in less than 4 weeks and I'm really Excited and Freaked out. Everyone says you get addicted, and it is very true.. As scary as it is, its very invigorating.


1/2 mile Swim •11 mile cycle •3 mile run


Steve's 1/2 Ironman (1.2 mi. swim • 56 mi. bike • 13.1 mi. run). If your trying to read the clock read it backwards - it say 43 mins.  Can you believe he's in his early 40's.
Oops.. I dont think Steve would like me sharing that info. heheh :-D 





No comments:

Post a Comment