I really like camelbak podium waterbottles because you can find a good deals on amazon, the "jet-valve" and its BPA free. With the "jet-valve" you don't have to fiddle with caps or plugs when you're working out, running or biking. No spills and easy to drink.
But...after a while they do absorb some funky smells, and the mouthpiece gets dirty and moldy. This is my remedy to save your water bottles instead of tossing them out and buying new ones.
Step 1: Baking Soda, Lemon, and your bottle.
Step 2: Remove the mouth piece.
- twist the mouthpiece so it doesn't align with the cap, this will make it easier for the piece to pop off.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of baking soda into the bottle (or more if you like)
- Cut up the lemon and squeeze the juice into the bottle and toss the remaining parts of lemons into the bottle.
- Place the mouth pieces inside the bottle so it can get cleaned in the process
- Add water
- Shake it up
Step 5: Waiting..
- Depending on how dirty the bottle you can have it sit longer. If you do, place it in the fridge so the lemons don't rot, there it can sit for a few days.
Step 6: Rinse
- Once you're done, rinse out everything. The bottle should not longer have the 'funky' smell, and may smell/taste like lemons, which will fade in a day or so, let it air out.
- The cap and mouth piece should be all clean, if not, just give it a few scrubs with a toothbrush.
Now you have a clean and fresh tasting bottle :)