Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peroneal Tendon Injuries

What is that?

About a month ago, I started getting a really bad pain on the outer side of my foot, and near the bottom of my foot. It would happen a few hours after a long run.  It feels similar to the pain felt with a stress fracture, except the only difference is that this pain will fade away, and a stress fracture wont.
It would prevent me from even walking. It was a very sharp Stabbing type of pain, mixed in with a deep cramp. It would go away after a day, so I didn't think much of it. Then it happened again and again.

X marks the spots of pain 


I found out my Peroneal Tendon is pissed off. It supports the ankle and foot movement. I've been having ankle problems for the past few months, so its no surprise that another issue as risen. I did a trail run, and uneven ground made for a pissed off Peroneal Tendon.







Here is a good article about it
http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/peroneal-tendon.htm
















Treatment:
I took some aspirin, elevated my foot and rested, and sure enough it went away. But for good? Not sure.. but at least I know what it is now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lily,

    Sorry to hear about your foot and back. It sounds like your back is okay now.

    Regarding your foot and that tendon, trail running will help strengthen your legs and ankles etc..., but when you have certain injuries it's the worst thing for you. I suggest you switch from technical trail runs to either rail trail or just run the roads for a little while to let things heal. I think your diagnosis is right.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete