Friday, June 3, 2011

Compression Sock Review: Zensah vrs Zoot vrs 2XU

Thanks to technology, I can't imagine being without compression socks now. I use them on my higher mileage or hilly runs where I need the extra ankle and calf support and during races. They really help so my legs are not tired after the run. Also  they are great to wear on planes, snowboarding, or at home for recovery. I even wore them during my vacation to New York where I knew I would have lots of walking and standing to do.

I really love these things and I've had the opportunity to try 3 different brands,

1 - 2XU
2 - Zoot
3 - Zensah

Zensah Compression Sock

Zensah Compression Socks Medium Sand These are usually more affordable than other compression brands. I think I got these for around $35 or less.
However the material is thicker, so its good for winter or cold runs, but in the summer it can get a little too warm. Also the material isn't as "tight" as other brands. Over all pretty decent for its price. I like wearing these socks on planes and for snowboarding.

Race Results - I ran a 13.1 race in these, and afterwards my calves weren't tired. Over all very pleased.

Zoot
 I found these on sale at Amazon for less than $35, (pretty good deal). The material is much thinner than Zensah and very tight.

Race Results -  I ran a 13.1 race in these and my legs felt better than when I ran with Zensah, but they were still tired but a little sore, but again better than running without them.




2XU ( currently $30-35 on amazon. Retails $50)
2XU Unisex Adult Compression Race Sock (White, Small) My Favorite compression socks so far. I got these as a gift. The material is similar to Zoot, very thin and very tight. I'm not sure if these perform so well for me because I'm wearing them 1 size smaller. I should be a S on their chart, but these socks are XS.

Race Results - I ran my fastest 13.1 race in these and afterwards my calves felt Fantastic. Every other part of my leg from the knee up was really sore and tired Except for my calves. My calves felt normal as if I hadn't just run 13.1 miles. I think these socks are magical.


Compression gear can get really pricey if you pay at retail. So if you have a coupon or keep an eye out for deals. Right now the 2XU are a pretty good deal at Amazon.. I just picked up my 2nd pair. :)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review! I've been trying to figure out which ones are the best, and it's very hard when you can't try them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your results are a little skewed since the last pair are actually the wrong size, lol! I've heard similar on Zoot vs. Zensah, but didn't know of the 2XU's rankings in the mix. Now i'm uncertain on which to purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks,

    I was able to get them all for around $30 so it wasn't too pricey to get to try out the different brands. I do like them all in different ways. I think you can't go wrong with any compression sock.

    When I first got my 2XU's I thought there was no way I was gonna squeeze my foot into that XS, but I did, and it fit. It was s tough squeeze but it worked.

    My foot was on the boardline between an XS and a S, so if your boardline, got for the smaller size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept reading and reading, and the web seems saturated with stories of people raving slightly more highly of the Zoot's, so I just ordered my first pair!! I believe the next pair I try out will be the 2XU's courtesy of your review and the good things you had to say about them!

    For me, these will not only be for overall better circulation and less fatigue legs, but I'm hoping it will help me graduate out of a nasty little spell of shin splints that seem to be slowing my progression into higher endurance racing (due to such long recovery times). Any little bit helps!!

    Saw your profile on FB and noticed you had a bunch of medals! You only get those for the full (and sometimes half) marathons, right? I've only experienced "fun run's" so far, so don't know all about the medals yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isreal,
    Let me know what you think of the Zoots. those are good socks too. Any compression sock will be much better than without.

    Once your legs get stronger the shin splints should slowly fade away.
    here is my favorite Shin splint exercise that my old coach used to make us do. I did this exercise before and after each run and the shin splints went away and haven't been back.

    http://runlily.blogspot.com/2010/07/shin-splints.html

    I bet soon enough you'll start having your own collection of medals. And when you do, I cant wait to see them. :-D

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 02, 2012

    Lily, I was born w/ Leiden Factor V mutation and have a tendency to clot more than usual. Glad to run across your materials here, didn't even know about these socks. Long trips should be safer now. Greg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Greg,
    I'm glad to help :)

    Thanks!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do not think you have a better running time because this compression socks. There are a lot of pro and contra arguments, read an interesting article in runners.world.com (http://www.runnersworld.de/ausruestung/wirkt-kompressionskleidung-in-der-regeneration.280839.htm - there is also an English version somewhere). You feel better, but the running is not faster, this is only in our minds :-) I recommend compression stuff AFTER longer efforts (run, bike or what ever). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 19, 2013

    Thanks for the review - very nice, really well done. Love my compression socks. I’m a big fan of compression socks, I’ve only used them for recovery and during workouts – sometimes I even sleep in them.

    ReplyDelete